Saturday 2 November 2013

Observation #3
In this case better called Reflections from Major Mike
                   
      From here I observe everything. That is: observe the  past and the  present; I don't think even the big guy knows the future. Even though we (those who lived and whose body died), have gone beyond 'Duality' into that realm of perfect unity consciousness and are in the realm of the Eternal Spirit- the Eternal  Soul ,we  have not lost our sense of  humour..."Remember to keep holy the days of laughter" (that's my personal 11th commandment) The 'Big Guy' is all of us, but that's too complicated to get into now.
                    This is a photograph of my family (minus the 2 who died in Childhood) It was 1932- the year I was ordained into the priesthood.We were a big family full of energy and ambition-sometimes unruly, but filled with concern for, and loyalty to, each other. Each of us lived a full and rich life, sometimes challenging, but always rewarding. A story could be told about each one.My nephew's father Dennis, is second from the left in the back row. My very first Funeral mass was for my Mother seated on the left; it was that same year.
I had a funeral mass for my Father 7 years later just before I went off to War.

         It is a rare opportunity for any of us to have our past lives looked at, so when I heard of my nephew's plans I thought:  why not give him a little help. He's close to realizing that all is One ... undifferentiated consciousness - stuff like that- the unity of all things-  reality kept separate only  by that slow to evolve aspect of mankind-the  Ego. He likes to use the word 'Maya'.  That illusion of separateness  is part of mankind's challenge to overcome. My nephew has studied -yes I mean 'studied' all the major spiritual paths and he would be quick to tell you his study is nowhere near that of a scholar, but he knows enough to be able to have the perspective on the larger principles of spirituality, to see the commonality in all paths.
                       I'd like to think that I had a role to play in that. From my advantage point here (which by the way is everywhere and nowhere) I have that thing my nephew secretly envies about those who claim to have it - 'Total Recall" -Actually it's not recall at all ,,, but that's an issue about time- the illusion of time and there is ironically no time now to get into such a tough concept.
                    My role in his seeking and gaining what he would call his 'limited awareness' took place over those years when I saw him- from his childhood until his 7th decade. I always sensed he wanted to know more about the reasons I became a priest and about the war years. Unfortunately we never  took the time to
talk as much as he now wishes we did . He was a reserved personality and I couldn't  normally suppress what other's called my gregariousness, but when we were alone we did talk, and it was frequent over the 60 some years we were together, I could tell he was taking it all in. One of the highlights, as he regards it, was when I mentioned that when I visited a dying soldier or held the hand of a wounded warrior I never asked him what his particular faith was, or if he even had one. My nephew is also quick to tell everyone how, after the war  any  public or church  event that I was a part of- (got an award or something), had to be non denominational.-I insisted on it. As much as it was hell and almost destroyed me, war completed my education. (I don't recommend it as there are many other ways to become a fully realized person.)
       On another occasion  when I purchased 2 of his etchings he was impressed that I knew they were properly called 'intaglios'. I did possess a good aural memory and it is delightful now for me to hear my nephew sing one of my old chestnuts -the Young Folks Old Folks song.
      Much could be said about everyone's relationships with those they were close to but for now I'd like to
leave that and talk about events, most of which will not appear in my nephew's work. Those events and experiences are offered to set the stage, perhaps be like a foreword or an introduction.
        I doubt that my nephew will try to 'channel' me to write the introduction to his book (if he even has an introduction ), but I can tell he is considering it. I am hoping he will get past the 'conventions' that are deemed to be necessary to creating something worthwhile-I mean the literary conventions- and find a Creative  path to telling what he will refer to as his story (even though it is my story!) -Not that his grammar couldn't stand some improvement.
       Just yesterday he found a statement that didn't sit well with him. The statement was a word of advice to bloggers- namely to keep the entries to fewer than 800 words. I know he is thinking that if someone cannot attend to a reading that may take 10 or 15 or even 20 minutes to read, then they likely are not going to be the audience he anticipates will 'Dig' his stuff. He made me smile back in the sixties when he challenged my broad mindedness by using that phrase. I still like it. I can Dig it.
          However, he is just wise enough to know that some advice- like the 800 word limit is based on an experience of this medium and other's expectations for it, so he will now take the advice (did anybody count the words?) and call this the end of Part One of this blog that he hopes will inspire him to action beyond his current snail's pace and  create some curiosity in others. My advice ?
-Don't hold your breath.
 Major Mike
           
               

No comments:

Post a Comment